03 October 2011

Beautiful Things

I have finally purchased a digital camera.

It isn't that I'm anti-technology--I'm truly quite fond of it--but my film camera was still working pretty well(though I have about 7 undeveloped rolls lurking in a draw somewhere), and I knew that waiting would bring the price down.

Anyway, I'm one of those people. Those people who take pictures of everything. Those people who make you stop in the middle of something so I can take a picture of it/you partaking in it. Those people who ruin the ambiance of the moment by trying to capture the moment, and then the moments gone. Those people who will even try and make you re-enact the scenario if I missed it.

Forgive me.

I am not really even "into photography." What I am "into" is "beautiful things."

For me, a beautiful thing is something small that sums up a feeling. An image that can serve as a symbol for the spirit of an event. All of these events make up my life--these are symbols that represent the spirit of my life.

Beautiful things are different for every person, and sometimes they don't make sense later. In five years, will I appreciate the photo of two strangers wearing hot sauce holsters at Oysterfest? Maybe. Did I love it when I saw it? Yes! And taking a photo of this small event is for me a ritual that honors beautiful things.

Mishon

No comments:

Post a Comment