31 May 2011

music to create to

Hey 5x5 buddies,

I thought I would continue my string of multimedia posts with a write up about music. It is almost required that I have some sort of sound playing in the background if I sit down with the intention of really working on some art. I know that some people can only listen to a specific genre - be it gregorian chants or new wave - but I like to keep my soundtrack varied. My favorite art-makin' tunes keep my ears entertained but generally don't get too loud or quiet. Interesting vocals and some cool sounding instruments are a big plus, too.

Here are some of my greatest hits, in no particular order:



I adore Andrew Bird - his lyrics are strange and beautiful and he can whistle like a champ!



Fiona Apple was never really my thing... until, that is, my boyfriend introduced me to the unreleased version of her Extraordinary Machine album, which features the handiwork of Jon Brion. It's so great, I seriously listen to this album half of the times I decide to sit down and draw. It's girly and bitter, but not overly so.



Also: raps! I kind of like listening to rap when I need to wake my brain up, or if I want to dance around at my desk a little. Kid Cudi has the added bonus of featuring Ratatat on a bunch of his songs, a great combination! Songs with great music videos (like this one) usually get special treatment from me.

Charlotte Gainsbourg - Heaven Can Wait from Charlotte Gainsbourg on Vimeo.



Oh, Charlotte Gainsbourg. Such dreamy, lovely music - and really, anyone who has worked with Beck and is the daughter of Serge Gainsbourg is immediately awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment