23 May 2011

Time to Write

How do you find time to work on creative projects?  I'd like to know.  Do you work on it every morning?  Every evening?  One day a week?

I recently started working more hours at my day job.  I had already put my novel on the back burner; I haven't written a single word since I started my blog back in November.  I rationalized, telling myself that at least I was writing every day, and people were reading what I wrote.  But my passion is the novel.

Since I started working more hours, I've stopped posting every day on my blog.  Now I shoot for once a week. What I won't cut back on is 5x5.  I guess that means I'm more passionate about it than I am about my own writing.  This is something I've only recently realized.

So, amongst working fifty hours per week, editing 5x5 and maintaining a weekly blog, how do I fit my personal writing into my schedule, especially since I also want to spend time with my wife and exercise and simply relax my body and my mind from time to time?

I ask you because I honestly want to know.  How do you do it?  Are you satisfied with the time you spend on creative projects?  Do you have a routine, or do your creative impulses come sporadically?  Do you give yourself deadlines?

Please leave a comment below and let me know how you handle it.

On another note, our Summer issue is in the works.  We're narrowing down our final choices.  It's always very exciting when we get to watch a hodgepodge of creative works come together into a compact printed magazine. Your copy will be in the mail shortly.

4 comments:

  1. Regardless of what 'it' (blog, novel, etc) is-- thoughts are still getting expressed and read-- so as long as that continues, there is no reason to feel as if you're not doing enough for your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually just did a similar post about writing routines on my blog. I'm a recent MFA grad and I never used a schedule during school.But now I'm trying to create a routine for myself because I will be working more hours at my day job and I know if I don't fit it in, it will eventually fall by the wayside. So for right now I'm waking up a little earlier in the morning and just trying to get something down. Even if its not my current project. Like Melissa says, as long as your writing something then your writing. http://wp.me/p15EZi-1H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you for responding. It's great to get some inspirational feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very happy to find 5x5. Congratulations for that!!!
    I hope one of these days I'll find the answer, more time and faith in writhings in more hours of my life...
    so, the answer.
    best wishes and thank/you.for.beeing.beautiful.
    Filipa

    ReplyDelete