25 August 2011

A salute to comics

Do you know how excited I am to see our comic submissions increase in number with each issue? Comics are not an easy thing to create, and to find or create one to relate to our theme makes submitting even more difficult! So thank you, all you comic submitters - I appreciate you! (and I appreciate everyone who submits to 5x5, but today we're celebrating the comics).

So let's call this Comics Appreciation day! I can think of plenty of printed comics that I love love love (Scott Pilgrim? Blankets? American Splendor?), but I want to focus on web comics. I love that even though the internet is infinite, so many people manage to avoid the urge to simply go overboard and create a comic of ginormous proportions. If you've been trying to figure out comics for yourself, consider this: less is more! When you have multiple panels to express an idea, why not find the simplest way of putting it? You might be surprised by how limitations can bring out your creativity.

Check out two of my most favorite web comics, I promise you won't be disappointed:


American Elf, August 10th 2011

Jame's Kochalka's American Elf can, admittedly, be found in print, I enjoy taking the time to click through the extensive archive. James Kolchalka has been creating a single comic documenting something that happened to him each day since October of 1998. I started reading American Elf in college and can still remember getting a little emotional over the birth of his son! Each comic leaves me feeling satisfied, like I can totally understand a simple yet strong emotion that another person felt. That's a pretty impressive feat for four panels.


Hark, A Vagrant: Viking Comic, Redone

Oh my goodness, do I love me some Hark, A Vagrant and you will too if you like any of the following: history of Cananda, history of America, history of music, history in general, Shakespeare, Jane Austen, silly teenagers, ponies, Edward Gorey, and/or Nancy Drew. All of these things and more come up in Kate Beaton's hilarious web comic. Hark, A Vagrant doesn't have a continual storyline, but covers a different topic with each update - and they are all hilarious. Kate is smart and funny and deserves way way more recognition!


Do you have any recommendations for me? What do you read?

No comments:

Post a Comment