06 September 2011

Find Your Taboo

I recently finished reading "Emotional Currency," by Kate Levinson--a book about exploring a less rational side to the human relationship to money. This book is slated as a woman's guide to money management because it encourages the use of storytelling in order to help the reader explore what hidden positive/negative experiences are causing the habits they have now.

In order to broach the taboo subject of money, Levinson suggests her readers write a money memoir. It is the perfect, safest way to "talk about" what can't be easily said.

Writing about my experiences with money has done as the book intends, and helped me understand the tangle of emotions I am overwhelmed with when I think about money. But I also realized I'd struck fertile ground for some interesting and charged personal essays.

Finding a taboo topic may be easier for you than it was for me. My big hint was that sinking feeling in my stomach and tightness at my throat. Approaching yourself this way may open a whole new realm for your writing.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment